It was decided in the Meeting of Board of Trustees of Gandhigram to start a Community College at Gandhigram in the name of Dr.Soundram , the founder of Gandhigram. “Expression of Interest”, was sent to Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi for approval. The heads of various units of Gandhigram and the Project Co-ordinators were consulted and a detailed proposal was drawn. On invitation from IGNOU Sri. M.R. Rajagopalan, the Secretary of Gandhigram Trust presented the proposal in the One Day Interface meeting held on 20th April in IGNOU, New Delhi and it was approved on 29th April 2009.
As per the norms of IGNOU, New Delhi every Community College, should have 3 Committees as Regulatory Bodies. Accordingly three Committees were constituted – College Board, Academic Committee and Examination Committee.Gandhigram Trust nominated Dr.G.Pankajam, former Vice Chancellor of Gandhigram Rural Institute (Deemed University ) as the founder Director of Dr.Soundram Community College.
Dream came true:
A long cherised dream of starting of a community College at Gandhigram Trust, Gandhigram came true with the formal inauguration of Dr.Soundram Community College by Dr.Latha Pillai, Pro-Vice Chancellor of IGNOU, New Delhi on 21st July 2009.
- Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education (DECE)
- Diploma in Self Help Group Federation and Micro Enterprises Management (SFMD3001)
- Diploma in Health Assistant (HAD3001)
- Certificate in Information Technology (CIT)
- Certificate in Herbal Medicine Siddha (HMC3006)
- Certificate in Value Added Products from fruits and vegetables (VAVC3001)
- Computer Literacy programme – Non credit course
- Functional Hindi – Non credit course
- Certificate in Nature Cure and Yoga (NCC)
- Diploma in Computer Application (CAD)
- Diploma in Herbal Medicine Siddha (HMD)
- English for Communication – Non credit course
For more details, please visit www.soundramcc.org
Dr. Soundaram Community College,
Gandhigram, Dindigul – 624302